Welcome to Vista Ranch! This site will be used to share what I do with, learn about, and discover concerning keeping chickens in as natural and organic a state as possible. Please feel free to browse around the site, read all the blogs, or search for a particular thing you are curious about. If I haven't covered a topic yet, feel free to contact me and perhaps I will have some information I haven't had time to write up yet. Thanks for stopping by, and come again soon!

Thursday, October 9, 2014

So...you want to get more chicks?

When I bought my first chicks, they were from the local feed store at the end of the “chick season”. I rushed over there because I was told it was the last day to buy chicks. Well…that was a while ago, and boy have I learned a lot!

Looking into the process, I quickly discovered that I could place a private order from the same hatcheries the feed stores buy through at almost any time of year. Then I discovered that it gets even more delightful- I could buy from small breeders who care very much about their flocks, and keep their breeds up to standard.

Most people’s complaint with small breeders is that they sell straight run- in other words, you can’t order all pullets, you’re going to get a certain number of cockerels, too. For my dollar, that’s a bonus. Cockerels can make great 4-H birds, they can be grown to 20 weeks (or older if you want) and humanely butchered for a tasty meal, but most importantly, you know that the supplier is not chopping up little chicks in a grinder. These people care about their birds.

Shipping fear is a common thing. People who’ve never ordered wonder how such a thing can go smoothly. But those chicks at the feed store were shipped in, too. Most good breeders offer a live arrival guarantee. I’ve had three batches of chicks come in so far; all survived in two of them, and I lost three from the third, but the breeder sent 4 extra so I was covered.

Here’s how it works. After finding your breeder and choosing your breed/s, you place your order, often months in advance. Expect to pay when you place the order, not when the chicks are shipped. Then you wait through the long months, and receive confirmation that they’ve shipped. The tracking number lets you know if they are on time, and you pick them up at the Post Office, usually verifying with an employee that all are alive. You rush your fluffballs home to a brooder- a box, a tote (my favorite), or anything large enough that they can have a place very warmed by the heat lamp and a place to get away from the heat if they choose, a clean water provider and food bowl. That’s all there is to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment