Welcome to Vista Ranch! This site will be used to share what I do with, learn about, and discover concerning keeping chickens in as natural and organic a state as possible. Please feel free to browse around the site, read all the blogs, or search for a particular thing you are curious about. If I haven't covered a topic yet, feel free to contact me and perhaps I will have some information I haven't had time to write up yet. Thanks for stopping by, and come again soon!

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Can Several Roosters Run with the Same Flock?

I have been running across this question several times as I search various sites, and the answer is YES. But there are factors that can help make it work out well. I'd like to share with you the tips I've picked up after having a total of 21 roosters in and out of my flock.

To make it work, your most important consideration is timing. Growing cockerels up together is a great way to have them get along. They will establish dominance early, and even when removed from each other for a few days, when placed back together the skirmishes are quickly over or don’t occur.

It is also important to release new cockerels into the flock at the right age. They have to be big and fast enough to get away from aggressive flock-mates (I have never found this to be the roosters, just the hens!), but not old enough to be full-fledged cocks themselves. I recently introduced a group of 4 month old chicks- including 3 cockerels- to the flock, and all went very smoothly. All 3 of my large roosters paid no attention to them at all. My little Dorking cockerel actually worships one of my Bielefelder roosters and stays by him constantly. That’s good- my Bielefelder is a perfect “gentleman” to humans and his ladies, so I’m thrilled if the Dorking wants to be like him; don’t laugh- I’ve read that young cockerels will imitate what they see the older roosters doing.

I’ve also just started letting a group of 12 week old Barnevelders- a group that has 6 cockerels- run around as well. The very first day, one of my Biele roos took them in his charge and watched over them during their first hours out of the coop.

Finally, don’t be too quick to step in to a fight. When my Bieles were setting up their pecking order, they leaped in the air and pummeled each other. I watched to make sure things didn’t go too far, but after a few attacks, and a little bit of blood on the combs, the winner and loser were established and they’ve been peacefully co-existing.

Every rooster is different, and some may never get along with other roosters. But I believe most can be trained to do so provided:
1)     they grow up with other cocks
2)     new cocks are introduced at a young age
3)     there is enough space for escape should it be necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment